Open Farm Day - Sunday, September 15, 2019
Your chance to visit 27 farms across PEI, meet the farmers and learn about how your food is produced!
Check out the 2019 Farms under the "Host Farms" and the "Farm Day Map" tabs above and plan your route!!
- To raise public awareness of the significant contribution that the agriculture sector makes to the provincial economy and to rural communities.
- To foster fair and informed dialogue within and outside the sector regarding issues and concerns in agriculture.
- To raise awareness of the PEI Agriculture Sector Council and the Agriculture Awareness Committee as a vehicle for industry partners and government to develop and use resources to foster agriculture awareness in the province.
- To develop partnerships with industry to generate increased and sustained funding for agriculture awareness
- Provide strategic agriculture awareness direction to the PEIASC To develop and implement events and resources promoting increased agriculture awareness, based on board approval
- To provide monthly written reports to PEIASC board members
- To provide an annual budget to PEIASC for approval
- Other specific outputs as required
To enhance public awareness of the agriculture & agri-food industry, to coordinate agriculture awareness activities and to foster partnerships in the process.
Formed in 1992, this committee has brought together volunteers from industry, agri-food businesses and government to develop educational and promotional materials and deliver events that improve agriculture awareness in PEI. Some of our proudest achievements include:
- PEI Open Farm Day: An annual event that sees over 25 farms open their doors to the public, providing fun and interactive ways to learn about life on a farm
- Agriculture and Forestry Fun Day: An annual event that brings over 500 island students together with indurstry to learn about forrestry, farming and nature
In January 2013, the committee joined the PEI Agriculture Sector council as a sub-committee in an effort to pool resources and build on each others strengths. Under this new structure, the committee looks forward to new opportunities to improve agriculture awareness and promote agriculture as a strong, innovative and exciting industry to be a apart of.
PEI Agriculture Awareness Committee
Agriculture in the Classroom-Gen Ag
Atlantic Veterinary College
Bernadette Forrester (Chair)
Member at large
Member at large
P.E.I Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture
Ted Johnston (Elementary Math and Innovation Leader)
PEI 4 – H
PEI Dept. of Agriculture and Land
PEI Federation of Agriculture
PEI French Language School Board
PEI Young Farmers
Women in Agriculture